Announcement: One Click Installer

Krzysztof Lichota krzysiek at lichota.net
Tue Aug 7 22:23:56 UTC 2007

Scott Kitterman napisaƂ(a):
> OK, so for a Debian system, where do the.debs come from that One Click is
> needed for?

The debs are already in repositories. It is about giving users easy
access to them.

> This is the part that keeps confusing me.  You seem to think if installing
> were just easier, people would install more stuff (probably true), but I
> think the real limiting factor is getting the stuff properly packaged.

Try reading forum posts or the Scribus page I have mentioned
(http://www.scribus.net/index.php?name=Sections&req=viewarticle&artid=4&page=1).
They are full of descriptions how to add repository, how to add key,
etc. Repeated all over again. And in many cases they go to most common
denominator (modifying /etc/apt/sources.list and using apt-key in
console), because if they describe one application (like Synaptic), then
user might be using different (like Adept).

Now imagine you are user who wants to install application. And he must
take so many difficult steps to achieve simple goal - installing
application.

Or you are an application author which can either depend on his users to
know how to add repository, or he can create description how to do it
once again.

This is the problem I am trying to solve.

	Krzysztof Lichota