Announcement: One Click Installer

Krzysztof Lichota krzysiek at lichota.net
Tue Aug 7 07:57:49 UTC 2007

Greg K Nicholson napisał(a):
> Krzysztof Lichota:
>> And I do not think such amount of information should be put in URLs, it
>> is just too big. URLs should not hold data.
>
> I imagine that the major Linux vendors would each host a library server,
> SourceForge might have one too, as would some or all of the servers that
> currently provide mirrors for open source projects' downloads. Remember,
> we're only dealing with short snippets of metadata, not the installers
> themselves, so this isn't a universal repository of all software — just
> a universal repository of all software installation metadata (ideally).

So you are taking away power from users and centralizing it.
It is exactly the opposite of what was the key of success of WWW (giving
power to users).

> I'm visualising this library as a vast table with program versions down
> the left, and distro/version/etc combinations across the top. At the
> intersections are instructions like:
>
> <package repo="http://bar.example.com">foo</package>
>
> Sometimes there are several instructions:
>
> <package repo="http://bar.example.com">foo</package>
> <gpgkey>http://baz.example.org/gpgkey</gpgkey>

Please see the specification of One Click Installer file format
(http://one-click-installer.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/one-click-inst/README)
and you will see exactly that.
And the "library of servers" becomes just a loose bunch of web servers
holding One Click Installer installation files.

Just One Click Installer gives everyone a possibility to create one, not
only distributions and big players.

	Krzysztof Lichota