Call for Release Candidate testing (again)

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Fri Apr 20 22:44:29 UTC 2007

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 09:20:01PM +0800, Wenzhuo Zhang wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. However, I knew that hda becomes sda when using
> the linux-ata drivers instead of the good old IDE drivers. My problem is
> that the primary boot drive is recognized as sdb, and Grub gets installed
> onto the MBR of the tertiary master hard drive, which is incorrectly
> recognized as sda. The sequence of drives detected by the linux-ata
> drivers is unpredictable in my setup.This is clearly a bug.

No, I don't think that the ordering of devices is a bug - the bug is
that we're assuming that the Linux device ordering bears some sort of
relation to the Bios device ordering, which is simply not true. Further,
I don't believe that there's any way we can make it true. We should be
parsing edd data instead, which lets us work out how the bios ordering
corresponds to PCI devices. However, for some reason EDD seems to have
been switched off in the Ubuntu kernels.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org