Standardised Hardware Support Spec - Please Review

hggdh hggdh2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 11:48:27 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 08:56 +0100, Alex Jones wrote:

> You wouldn't necessarily /need/ a new application to help the user
> remove it if it was packaged like I am suggesting. You'd remove the HSP
> and the installed and unneeded support packages could be apt-get
> autoremove'd.

Why not create this database, create an interface to HAL, and then just
start what is signaled from HAL? This way we can still have a distro
that will allow the casual user to just plug and play -- which is, I
think, quite an important thing to have.

On the other hand, I am not sure that I would like to have generic
autostart on a server. And, no matter what, I would really like *not* to
have autostarted what I do not want started, for whatever reason. We
should have an easy way of doing so.

>  Sorted. As it happens, all of this stuff is just
> dependency of ubuntu-desktop, meaning that it all gets reinstalled every
> time I do a distribution upgrade. *Groan*.

Yes, that bothers me also. And, on some servers, I do want X (for
example).

> I've noticed that in my restricted drivers manager, it has chosen to
> install "Lucent/Agere lindmodem controller driver". I didn't even think
> I had a modem, and even if I did, I certainly have zero use for it.
> What's the point in knowingly "infecting" my system with closed-source
> kernel modules when you don't even know if I want it?

Well, with all due respect, you already have infected your system with
closed-source module(s). But I do see your point and, again, an
interface with HAL plus a DB could deal with it. As for the packaging of
all the restricted modules together, I have no opinion.