Standardised Hardware Support Spec - Please Review

Chris Wagner chris.t.wagner.1 at ohiou.edu
Thu Apr 5 20:52:04 UTC 2007

I'm probably way out of my element, here, but wouldn't the ideal
solution be to load services based on what hardware is present.  And by
"what hardware is present", I don't mean at install or boot-up; I mean
it in general (i.e., if someone plugs in an HP printer, then the HP
printer service(s) will get loaded).

I don't know for sure that this isn't already happening to some extent,
but I just checked to see if I have any superfluous services running,
and I found a "Graphic tablets management" service running, which I
doubt that I need.

Is that not the sort of thing HAL was intended for?  Or perhaps this
would require another little service on top of HAL that has access to a
hardware database and information about what services (and packages?)
are relevant for each device (?).

This would at least avoid the extra services.  You would still have the
problem of extra software installed for a few of the more important
things (HP printers, Bluetooth, ...).  Alex's proposal my be good for
dealing with that, though, for the few who are concerned.