Suggestion: Goal towards a cleanlinks compliant Ubuntu.

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 16:42:36 UTC 2006

I hate to object vocally but I must say that I've been using Linux
(and administering Linux and Unix servers) for 8 years and I've never
had a problem that turned out to be caused by symlinks.  It seems to
me that bad practices must be to blame for any problems you may have
experienced.  Not to imply that it was your fault, but that perhaps a
package maintainer or other engineer had misconceptions about how
symlinks should be used or was simply sloppy.

Perhaps you refer to the alternatives system when you talk of Ubuntu
making up it's own rules and then putting symlinks in the standard
places.  If so there are very good reasons why a distribution like
Debian (though perhaps not as much Ubuntu) would want to make use of
such a system.

There are standards about where files should live and all the major
distros try to follow those standards: http://www.pathname.com/fhs/