Hirsute Hippo (21.04) Final Freeze

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 15 21:19:26 UTC 2021

The final freeze for Hirsute Hippo has now been reached and we are heading
into the final stretch of the release cycle with the release of Ubuntu 21.04
next week.

The current uploads in the queue will be reviewed and either accepted or
rejected as appropriate by pre-freeze standards, but anything from here on
should fit two broad categories:

1) Release critical bugs that affect ISOs, installers, or otherwise
   can't be fixed easily post-release.

2) Bug fixes that would be suitable for post-release SRUs, which we may
   choose to accept, reject, or shunt to -updates for 0-day SRUs on a
   case-by-case basis.  This second case should have SRU bugs filed with the
   appropriate template, and be referenced from the changelog.

For unseeded packages that aren't on any media or in any supported sets,
it's still more or less a free-for-all, but do take care not to upload
changes that you can't readily validate before release.  That is, ask
yourself if the current state is "good enough", compared to the burden of
trying to fix all the bugs you might accidentally be introducing with your
shiny new upload.

We will shut down cronjobs and spin some RC images over the next couple of
days once the archive and proposed-migration have settled a bit, and we
expect everyone with a vested interest in a flavour (or two) and a few spare
hours here and there to get to testing to make sure we have another
uneventful release next week. Last minute panic is never fun.

On behalf of the Ubuntu Release Team,
--
Brian Murray