๐ŸŒ… Eoan is open for development ๐Ÿ‘ท

Dimitri John Ledkov xnox at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 30 10:54:51 UTC 2019

Eoan is open for development, whilst we still wait for the animal
portion of the name. Here are some transition plans for this cycle:

๐Ÿ›  gcc-9 as the default gcc.

๐Ÿ“š glibc 2.30 when it becomes available in August or later.

๐Ÿ python3.7 as default and supported, with python3.8 as simply
available in the archive. As the 3.8 final is too close for the 19.10
release. The plan however is to have python3.8 as the default and
supported in 20.04 LTS.

Speaking of python2 ๐Ÿ‘ต hopefully, it can be demoted from Main to
Universe this cycle. We are currently left with deja-dup/duplicity (port
completed upstream), heartbeat (pacemaker v2 stack doesn't need it),
mailman3 is getting promoted to main this cycle, and OpenStack Swift. I
am not sure where the latest status is on OpenStack Swift, but
hopefully, we can get Swift to move to python3 this cycle.

Also hoping to switch default/only implementation of bzr to the python3
port breezy ๐ŸŒฌ.

๐Ÿฏ icu transition to 64.2 or newer. And we also need to backport support
for the new Japanese era Reiwa (ไปคๅ’Œ) into stable releases. Not sure how
that will be done yet.

โฌฃ boost transition to 1.70 or newer. Mostly to get better compiler support.

๐Ÿต OpenJDK 11 as default, with 8 & 13 available.

๐Ÿฟ๏ธ golang updated to 1.12.

๐Ÿ’ฟ on installer front, we are aiming to bring the new server installer
for all 64-bit architectures: s390x, ppc64el and arm64. Also a slight
change on x86 platform is to use ๐Ÿง vmlinuz & initrd symlinks in /boot,
rather than in /.

Please note that ๐Ÿฅ Debian is ๐Ÿจ frozen, thus there shouldn't be too big
of a flood of updates/merges initially... But there might be a lot of
things landing if Debian releases in the next 6 months. And it's time to
start thinking about landing things for the next LTS release, as you
might want to get stuff in this cycle, for things to be polished in time
for 20.04 LTS!

For any questions and comments you can reply to this email on
ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list or use the community forums
https://community.ubuntu.com/t/eoan-is-open-for-development/10772

--
Regards,

Dimitri.