Quantal Alpha 3 milestone release preparation

Kate Stewart kate.stewart at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 24 00:34:24 UTC 2012

Dear Developers,

   We'll be starting to spin the images for Quantal Alpha 3 tonight.

   We'll be continuing with the processes we used in Alpha 2, since they
seem to work fairly well, until the tooling is deployable.
For this milestone following rules will apply:
  - If a package is needed to fix a bug that would block the
    milestone, it should still be uploaded to quantal.
  - If a package does not touch any of the images,
    it can still be uploaded to quantal.
  - All other uploads should be done to quantal-proposed first.
    In particular, an upload that will increase the count of
    uninstallable packages in main, even temporarily, MUST be
    done to quantal-proposed instead of to quantal.
    Affected uploads include:
     - all shared library packages (due to multiarch)
     - any uploads that will leave packages uninstallable on
       one architecture while the autobuilders catch up
       (due to out-of-sync Arch: all / Arch: any binary packages)
     - any packages that introduce new versioned Conflicts/Breaks
       and require coordination between multiple source packages

If you have any questions about where you should upload, please ask on
#ubuntu-release first.

Technical Overview information for Alpha 3 can be added to the WIKI
page at: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuantalQuetzal/TechnicalOverview/Alpha3

Thank you for your help getting Alpha 3 ready to ship.

Kate Stewart
on behalf of the Ubuntu Release Team.