Today's proposed updates for 10.04 LTS and 10.10 pulled in wrong linux kernel

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 6 13:08:12 UTC 2011

Hello Ubuntu developers,

Today we released another round of Linux kernel updates to
lucid/maverick/natty-proposed. However, the proposed natty update
(2.6.38 based kernel) was accidentally copied to lucid-proposed and
maverick-proposed, and thus had been on the master archive.ubuntu.com
between 09:00 and 14:00 UTC.

That means, if you have proposed updates enabled on your 10.04 LTS
(lucid) or 10.10 (maverick) Ubuntu installation, and did a system
upgrade during that time, it might have pulled in the 2.6.38 kernel.

To check this, please run

  dpkg -l linux* | grep '^ii.*2.6.38'

If you have any results, please first run another system upgrade,
which will again pull in the 2.6.32 (lucid) or 2.6.35 (maverick)
kernels, and then remove the wrong kernel packages with

  sudo apt-get purge `dpkg -l linux* | grep '^ii.*2.6.38' | awk '{print $2}'`

I fixed the script that handles the proposed kernel packages now, so
this won't happen again.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that this caused!

Martin Pitt