Ubuntu 10.10 Developer Summit Announced

Jono Bacon jono at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 2 19:23:22 GMT 2010

Hi All,

I am tickled pink to announce the details of the next Ubuntu Developer
Summit (http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UDS) taking place at Dolce La Hulpe Hotel
and Resort (http://www.dolce-la-hulpe-brussels-hotel.com/) in Brussels,
Belgium from the 10-14 May 2010.

The Ubuntu Developer Summit one of the most important events in the
Ubuntu calendar and at it we discuss, debate and design the next version
of Ubuntu. We bring together the entire Canonical development team and
sponsor a large number of community members across the wide range of
areas in which people contribute to Ubuntu. This includes packaging,
translations, documentation, testing, LoCo teams and more. UDS is an
incredible experience, filled with smart and enthusiastic people, fast
paced and exhausting, but incredibly gratifying to be part of the
process that builds the next Ubuntu.

It is important to note that UDS is *not* a conference. It is absolutely
a participatory discussion-based summit in which we work together as a
team to define what our next release will look like. If you are planning
on attending or planning on applying for sponsorship, you should be
prepared to participate in the sessions actively.

For every UDS, Canonical sponsors a number of community members to
attend the event. We are looking for those who want to bring some real
insight and expertise in their area of Ubuntu, be it development or
community governance. If you feel you could offer this but can't afford
to cover your expenses of attending, you should apply for sponsorship.

How To Request Sponsorship

Luckily, requesting your sponsorship is pretty simple, and we a simple
system to handle sponsorship requests. To apply for sponsorship, just
follow these simple steps:

  * Go to http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-m/ and log in with OpenID. When
you have logged in, click the *Request Sponsorship* link.
  * On the first page, add your location and use the *About* yourself
box to tell us why you should be sponsored and tell us about your work
on Ubuntu - here you should tell us your vital stats - tell us your any
5-A-Day numbers, any work on the sponsorship queue, what you have
uploaded, which teams you are in, your LoCo involvement, documentation
you have written, any translation work and other work that you have been
involved in. When you have done this, click the Next button.
  * On the final page, answer the questions and then click Finish to
finish your sponsorship request.

More details on requesting sponsorship are at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UDS-M/Sponsorship.

**PLEASE NOTE**: we have a re-direction bug at the end of this process
that affects *some* people. Don't worry though, your application is
still saved to the system. We are currently in the process of fixing
this bug.

Everyone should get their sponsorship requests in by Fri 26th March 2010
to be considered. Good luck!

     Jono

--
Jono Bacon