Mass build failure in Maverick today

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 15 13:28:11 BST 2010

Hello Ubuntu developers,

I uploaded a new version of pkgbinarymangler this morning, which had
an unintended side effect that caused apt/dpkg to fail to install all
packages. The consequence of this was that all maverick builds for
Ubuntu as well as PPAs which were done between 09:00 and 12:00 UTC
today failed to build.

pkgbinarymangler has been fixed now, and I retried all affected
maverick builds for Ubuntu, so for those you do not need to perform
any action, except removing and ignoring the FTBFS emails that you
got.

However, I cannot retry the builds for PPAs. If you got an FTBFS log
which has a lot of lines like

  dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/python2.7-dev_2.7-2~ppa1_i386.deb (--unpack):
   corrupted filesystem tarfile - corrupted package archive

then please retry the build on Launchpad, it will succeed now.

I am terribly sorry for the hassle, thanks for your understanding.

Martin