Main frozen for Alpha 1

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 19 06:09:30 GMT 2008

Hi all,

We're about two days before the expected release of Jaunty Alpha 1, so the
milestone "freeze" is now in effect.  Please take care that any packages
that you upload to main between now and the Alpha 1 release will help us in
the goal of a high quality and timely alpha, and hold any disruptive or
unnecessary uploads until after the alpha is out.  Again, this means the
primary focus should be on resolving these bugs:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/+bugs?field.milestone=2209

The number of bugs targeted to this early milestone is quite small, but
there's plenty of other work to be done in getting the archive in a
consistent state so that we don't have uninstallable packages for the
alpha-1 milestone:

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/PackageArchive#Consistency

Remember that this is a "soft" freeze, so you are each responsible for
making sure your uploads are appropriate - Launchpad will not be your safety
net.

Packages that are not seeded on the CDs (i.e., most packages in universe,
with the exception of UbuntuStudio, Xubuntu, and Mythbuntu packages) may be
uploaded as usual.

Since there is still some work to be done to get the installer ready for
Jaunty, it's possible that this first milestone will not be ready on
Thursday, but we will do our best to have it out as close to schedule as
possible.

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek