Updates to the StableReleaseUpdates process

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 6 20:21:57 GMT 2007

Hello Ubuntu developers,

in order to make the SRU process [1] more efficient to process, we
introduced two small changes [2] to the policy:

(1) The test case now needs to go into the description field, below a
    line with "TEST CASE:".

   This allows the verification team to actually find the test case in
   a long bug trail (which might have lots of other instructions), as
   well as being able to find the test case with automated tools.

(2) If you are confident that your change is suitable, you can upload
   your package without waiting for approval in the bug report.

   This has already been a fairly popular common practice anyway, and
   it in fact speeds up reviews when the packages in question are
   already waiting in Launchpad's "unapproved" queue. However, if you
   are not sure that your change is appropriate, please wait with the
   upload until you get the "thumbs up" from the SRU team, as before.

   If this policy change causes an excessive amount of rejections and
   thus noise, we will reconsider it, but I have the feeling that by
   and large the previous SRU proposals were quite reasonable.

As a general reminder, *please* read the current policy again and
*stick to it*. We get a lot of improper SRUs, and it creates excessive
work for the SRU team to fix up bug tasks and statuses, inquiring
people about the status in the development release, having improper
changelogs, etc.

Thank you for your attention,

Martin Pitt

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates