Planning for Ubuntu 7.04 - the "Feisty Fawn"

Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Wed Oct 18 20:48:22 BST 2006

Salve, Ubuntero's

With the final release of Ubuntu 6.10 approaching, and apparently set
to be spot on schedule October 26th, we're starting to look beyond
it to Ubuntu 7.04, scheduled for release on 19 April 2007.

In the next cycle we'll expand on the brand new infrastructure that has
landed in Edgy as well as branching out in some exciting new directions.
This combination of courage and restlessness is also found in a young deer
that sets out to explore a world that is new and exciting - seeing the
world through eyes unprejudiced by what has gone before.

In that spirit, the release will be be code named "The Feisty Fawn".

The main themes for feature development in this release will be
improvements to hardware support in the laptop, desktop and high-end
server market, and aggressive adoption of emerging desktop technologies.
Ubuntu's Feisty release will put the spotlight on multimedia enablement
and desktop effects. We expect this to be a very gratifying release for
both users and developers. Detailed planning will take place at the
developer summit next month in Mountain View, California. Please join
us there to help shape the Feisty Fawn!

   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDeveloperSummitMountainView

This will be our sixth release, marking the third anniversary of the
project's inception, and will be a return to our standard six-month release
schedule following the shortened catch-up cycle used for 6.10.

Edgy has been a wild ride, with some remarkable achievements (nothing
like re-inventing and substantially improving on init!). Feisty will
be a little more focused on features that are very visible to end-users.

We welcome new participants in our community - whatever your talent we
look forward to working with you! Jono Bacon, our new community lead,
will find a way to make sure your contribution is well received.

Mark