It's the HUG DAY!

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 29 16:56:19 BST 2006

Hello Ubuntu Lovers!

After the decision to postpone the Dapper release we suddenly found
ourselves with more time on our hands to make Dapper the best release
the world has seen. Yet the newly instated BugSquad [1] didn't take this
as a call to take it easy - quite the contrary: in our first meeting we
gathered a remarkable number of people who already help out on a daily
basis and will be at the HUG DAY to help you get involved as well.

[1] http://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad

You might already know: The best thing for us to do at the moment is
getting an overview over our bugs. Our testers have been most busy and
now it's our job to make the best out of it. Therefore, we'll have a Hug
Day to to help our Bug BugSquad to get up to scratch and everything
sorted. We made a habit of making Hug Days special so this time, apart
from having lists of things to do of different Ubuntu teams, we'll have
a special look at
	__  __
	\ \/ /
	 \  /
	 /  \
	/_/\_\

Fabio 'fabbione' di Nitto will entertain us and show us where to get
cracking.

Planning is one thing, but we'll surely stick to our concept of success:
the Hug Day. This is a very special Bug Day: on Hug Day, when someone
closes a bug, then someone else should hug him/her. Why? This is a very
special way for us to tell everyone that we love contributions! And
triaging bugs is a really big contribution.

In addition to that we added [2] - a page where you can list your most
annoying bugs. Fixing these bugs will give extra points and extra hugs
of course.

[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBugDay/BugsForExtraPoints

Who can join the Hug Day? Everyone. You don't need to be a developer.
You don't need to know to code. Everyone is welcome. If you don't know
how to help, then just come and we'll explain you everything.

In a Bug Day, you can

 * work in a nice team,
 * make sure the bug reporters' concerns are heard,
 * gather all the information needed so developers can fix bugs,
 * close useless bugs,
 * find out where the bugs come from,

and eventually

 * work together with upstream to make changes happen,
 * get experience in hacking and fixing bugs.

We will try to triage as many bugs as possible, but specifically look
into the targets outlined at
     http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBugDay

Where to join the Hug Day? #ubuntu-bugs on freenode IRC. And you can go
there every other day too!

When to join the Hug Day? Next hug day is on March 31st, 2006 In all
timezones. But again, you can go there every day and help with triaging
the bug tracking systems.

We can't stress it enough: everyone can help. So join us for the Hug
Day!

Make a difference: join the Bug Day on Friday, March 31st We will be in
#ubuntu-bugs (Freenode) all day and night, and will be ready to answer
your questions about how to help.

If you're new to all this, head to
     http://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpingWithBugs

Have a nice day,