Distro Sprint Day 3 Summary

Jane Weideman janew at canonical.com
Wed Feb 1 18:35:56 GMT 2006

This is today's installment of Distro Sprint News.

Sadly today was beset with illness, as a deadly plague struck the
majority of the Distro Team incapacitating them for most of the day.

At one point we were down to a valiant team of 6 (out of a total of 16)
- who so far have evaded the evil attack. Luckily the team fought back
strongly and most are on the mend. (Flowers, Get-well-soon cards,
stuffed toys, chocolates, alcohol, electronic gadgets, money etc
gratefully accepted!)

Due to this unfortunate turn of events the following progress report for
today is a bit scant, sorry.

----

Our web and wiki master Henrik came through to meet with the team and
work with us. He displayed his cool accessibility tools and his
impressive mastery of them.

Henrik also spent time working on some new window theme designs, looking
at example content requirements and various other art work components.
We also looked at the option of employing mion for the new edubuntu
website infrastructure which is planned to launch around the time of the
dapper release.

More work went into Espresso to make the later stages of the UI
significantly more responsive.

Gfxboot/Espresso accessibility was discussed, and work started on
accessibility support in gfxboot for the CD boot loader.

Work is proceeding apace on the evaluation of NetworkManager, and
working out how to integrate it with our existing networking
infrastructure.

The GNOME 2.13.90 implementation was completed.

A new spam filtering plugin for evolution was investigated.

Finally here is some video footage of talks held yesterday morning,
before the plague struck. It has been masterfully edited by Scott. The
first is a language pack talk by Martin Pitt [1], and the second a
dropping pre-i686 proposal by Jeff Bailey and Matthias Klose [2].

Stay close to a restroom near you!

[1] http://people.ubuntu.com/~scott/20060131_language-packs_pitti.ogg
[2]
http://people.ubuntu.com/~scott/20060131_dropping-pre-i686_jbailey-doko.ogg