Ubuntu Herd 1 released

Tollef Fog Heen tfheen at ubuntu.com
Wed Dec 6 11:57:15 GMT 2006

Come, rest in this bosom, my own stricken deer,
Though the herd have fled from thee, thy home is still here:
Here still is the smile that no cloud can o'ercast,
And the heart and the hand all thy own to the last.

 - Thomas Moore, Come, Rest In This Bosom

Welcome to Feisty Fawn Herd 1, which will in time become Ubuntu 7.04.

Pre-releases of Feisty are *not* encouraged for anyone needing a
stable system or anyone who is not comfortable running into
occasional, even frequent breakage.  They are however recommended for
Ubuntu developers and those who want to help in testing, reporting,
and fixing bugs.

Herd 1 is the first in a series of milestone CD images that will be
released throughout the Feisty development cycle. The Herd images are
known to be reasonably free of showstopper CD build or installer bugs,
while representing very current snapshots of Feisty. You can download
it here, for Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Edubuntu respectively:

  http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/feisty/herd-1/ (Ubuntu)
  http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/feisty/herd-1/ (Kubuntu)
  http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/releases/feisty/herd-1/ (Edubuntu)

See http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Archive for access instructions.

The primary changes from Edgy have been the re-merging of changes
from Debian.  Common to all variants, we have upgraded the kernel to
2.6.19.

Please refer to http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/herd1 for information on
changes in Ubuntu and https://wiki.kubuntu.org/FeistyFawn/Herd1/Kubuntu
for changes in Kubuntu.

This is quite an early set of images, so you can expect some
bugs. Among them are the following (so you don't need to bother
reporting these if you encounter them):

  * Installing the i386 image in an SMP VMWare machine (at least on
    AMD64) fails with a kernel panic.

  * When shutting down the live CD, the prompt asking you to press
    enter to confirm you have removed the CD reads from the wrong
    terminal.  It is at that point safe to press the reset or power
    button.

If you're interested in following changes as we further develop Feisty,
have a look at the feisty-changes list:

We also suggest that you subscribe to the ubuntu-devel-announce list
if you're interested in following Ubuntu development. This is a
low-traffic list (a few posts a week) carrying announcements of
approved specifications, policy changes, alpha releases, and other
interesting events.

The Testing area of the wiki suggests various tests that can be
performed on Herd CD releases to try to catch bugs far enough before
the final release that they can be fixed:

  http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing

Bug reports should go to Malone:

  https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bugs

Enjoy,