Application for ubuntu-desktop membership

Olivier Tilloy olivier.tilloy at canonical.com
Tue Jun 25 09:46:18 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 9:48 PM Gunnar Hjalmarsson <gunnarhj at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I apply to the ubuntu-desktop team members for becoming a member of the
> team.
>
> I have been around since 2010, and my contributions have mostly been
> related somehow to the internationalization of the desktop, such as the
> tools for setting language and locales, fonts, keyboard layouts/input
> methods, spellcheck dictionaries, and the translation infrastructure.
> I'm also keeping up the Ubuntu flavor of the desktop guide (Help).
>
> My work has led me to get involved in quite a few packages, and more
> often than not I'm targeting packages in the ubuntu-desktop packageset.
> Via PPU:s and a personal packageset I have upload rights to a few of them:
>
> https://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/packagesets/eoan/personal-gunnarhj
>
> but often I need to ask for sponsorship.
>
> As a member of ubuntu-desktop I would be able to contribute more
> efficiently and save some time for the developers. But please note that,
> if you would grant me membership, you wouldn't get rid of my prompts for
> reviews completely. ;) I'm self-educated in computing, and my knowledge
> about programming, packaging, etc. is fragmentary. The good news is that
> I'm aware of my limitations, and have gained a feeling for when I should
> consult with someone and/or ask for review, and when I'm sure enough to
> just do it.
>
> Thanks in advance for considering my application!

I have had the opportunity to sponsor some of Gunnar's uploads
recently, and his work was impeccable.
I also know him through his numerous contributions to the desktop
stack, particularly focused on internationalization.
He is knowledgeable and rigorous.
This application fully makes sense, +1 from me.

Cheers,

 Olivier