Cosmic mutter version and budgie desktop

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 8 16:41:33 UTC 2018

On Mon, Aug 06, 2018 at 12:27:15PM +0100, Iain Lane wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 05, 2018 at 02:30:49PM +0100, David Mohammed wrote:
> > So Ubuntu Budgie has a major issue here.  I have been plugging away looking
> > at this but really the areas involved aren't in my area of expertise  ....
> > mutter and the in depth relationships with the budgie stack.  I will
> > continue to look at the vala coding changes but am not really confident on
> > writing a timely solution for 18.10 beta.
> >
> > Any thoughts on the way forward? I don't know  if it is feasible to have a
> > short term 18.10 version of mutter based upon the 18.04 mutter libraries
> > specifically for budgie with gnome shell using the gnome 3.30 mutter
> > version at the same time in the repo. Kludge I know.
>
> Thanks for raising this.
>
> I'm having a look at what changes are required to port this to mutter-3.
> It's going to be mainly that MetaScreen was removed, but you should
> still be able to do everything you could do before.

I've uploaded my initial port¹ to Cosmic now. I realise this is a little
bit of a forward thing to do, since the code has some known bugs, and I
apologise for any irritation that you feel / have to face from users.

Hopefully you understand that we need to get moving on testing GNOME
3.29, and you agree there's enough time left this cycle to shake out
bugs or work on another strategy for keeping budgie rocking on.

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney at debian.org ]