Firefox ESR package is really needed

Marcos Alano marcoshalano at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 20:50:16 UTC 2017

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 5:04 PM, James Henstridge
<james.henstridge at canonical.com> wrote:
> On 29 September 2017 at 11:43, Marcos Alano <marcoshalano at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What is the difference between keep the latest release and a ESR
>> release? ESR someday was a latest release.
>
> It's not really a question of whether Firefox-ESR is more difficult to
> maintain than Firefox.  Rather, the comparison is between the
> maintaining Firefox and maintaining both Firefox and Firefox-ESR
> simultaneously.

Understood. I think we need to do is ask some tough questions to find
a way to finally make available the firefox-esr.
Someone already asks a question I think it's very tough: how firefox
and firefox-esr can live together? Maybe just a different namespace
with /etc/alternatives symlinks. Actually could be a good idea because
allows more integration with Firefox Beta and Firefox Nightly provided
by Mozilla Team. Mozilla Nightly is in a different namespace, but Beta
updates the stable version which isn't a good way since I can't test
beta without lose stable.

--
Marcos Alano