mozc support in the default ISO

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Sun Sep 24 01:26:35 UTC 2017

Hi Jeremy,

On 2017-09-23 22:47, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> Qt4 was removed from the default Ubuntu 17.10 ISO this week as a
> result of dropping fcitx support there. It looks like the only reason
> Qt5 is still there is because ibus-mozc recommends mozc-utils-gui
> which depends on Qt5. mozc is a Japanese input method but we do not
> pre-install Japanese language packs in the live environment.
>
> mozc was added to the live environment just before Ubuntu 15.10 was released:
> https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/ubuntu-seeds/ubuntu.artful/revision/2363
>
> To use the mozc input method, I had to install ibus-mozc and then log
> out of GNOME and log back in for it to show up in GNOME Settings >
> Region & Language > Input Sources > + > … > Other > Japanese (Mozc) .
> Since I have more than one input method/keyboard now, a language menu
> shows up in the right side of the top bar. That menu allows switching
> between 6 different mozc modes. gnome-control-center does not provide
> any other mozc preferences.
>
> mozc-utils-gui adds a "Mozc Setup" app. This app has a low-resolution
> icon which doesn't look as good when people are browsing the list of
> installed apps in the live environment. mozc-utils-gui allowing
> customizing a lot of apparently useful mozc preferences.
>
> Here are some follow-up questions:
> 1. Does it make sense to have ibus-mozc in the live environment but
> without mozc-utils-gui?

Aren't packages, which are recommended by packages in the live seed,
automatically included on the ISO? Or is it possible to explicitly
exclude recommended packages?

I tested without mozc-utils-gui, and was able to select between
different modes and produce beautiful characters. One difference I
noticed when installing mozc-utils-gui was that also a 'tools' menu
showed up in the language menu.

I added Mitsuya Shibata to the thread, since I'm not able to comment on
the importance of the package for live sessions.

Two own thoughts:

* If we still have qt5, why do you keep the question open?

* If mozc-utils-gui would be moved from the ISO somehow, I think we'd
need to let pkg_depends pull it explicitly, and then it would need to be
in 'supported', right?

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj