Remove default app: xterm?

Jeremy Bicha jbicha at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 18 15:30:06 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 12:33 PM, Bryan Quigley
<bryan.quigley at canonical.com> wrote:
> Xterm takes up two menu items (xterm and uxterm) and doesn't provide
> any more functionality then gnome-terminal.  In an installed setup,
> those two menu items make gnome-shell have 3 pages instead of 2 in my
> testing.

Bryan, thanks for starting this topic. Sorry for the late response. My
understanding is the only justification for xterm being installed by
default was for the FailSafeX feature which is no longer considered
essential for the Ubuntu Desktop. Therefore, I filed the User
Interface Freeze bug to drop xterm from the default Ubuntu 17.10
install as https://launchpad.net/bugs/1717946

Jeremy Bicha