Remove Python2 for 18.04?

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 27 21:49:39 UTC 2017

On 2017-10-27 21:22, Bryan Quigley wrote:

> * ibus-sunpinyin
>
> Was added 9/2017 [2] as part of moving from fcitx.

Right. Choosing ibus-sunpinyin was not preceded by any deeper
considerations. It was the preferred input method last time Ubuntu's
default IM framework for Simplified Chinese was IBus, and has been
pulled by language-selector (pkg_depends) after that for Ubuntu GNOME.

> This package hasn't been updated since 2013.  Previously we've added
> it to the desktop session and then removed for ibus-pinyin for size
> (and in this case it seems better maintained).

GNOME seems to default to ibus-libpinyin:

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-desktop/tree/libgnome-desktop/default-input-sources.h

That would speak for replacing ibus-sunpinyin with ibus-libpinyin on
both the live CD and language-selector. But we should probably try to
get opinions from some Chinese users before making this change.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj