64 bit iso with 32 bit uefi ?

Dimitri John Ledkov xnox at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 3 16:43:51 UTC 2017

On 3 October 2017 at 09:46, Khurshid Alam <khurshid.alam at linuxmail.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have few questions about 32 bit support in Ubuntu.

I guess specifically about 32bit uefi support.

None of the ubuntu installation medias for any releases have 32bit
UEFI support, thus the machines either actually have 64bi uefi support
or get installed in legacy bios mode.

Some limited amount of machines used to ship 32bit uefi but all have
since switched to 64bit uefi. Specific models that I am aware of are
Macbook Core Duo (with Core 2 Due they use 64bit uefi), Minnow board
(provide both 32bit and 64bit uefi firmware images), Microsoft Surface
1st gen (later gens switched to 64bit uefi).

All certified ubuntu laptops use 64bit uefi or legacy bios boot. None
use 32bit uefi.

Removal of i386 images, thus has no effect on supporting machines in
question as our amd64 images can boot as bios, 64bit uefi with/without
secureboot, as an iso/cdrom or a usb pen drive.

Regards,

DImitri.