Move this mailing list to the Community Hub

Luís Santos lpds25 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 20:28:14 UTC 2017

It´s a good idea to combine the info and the lists in one placee, but I've
got a question: I've already subscribed to the hub (right now). Will we
continue to receive the posts from other members by email and reply via
email too, or is it supposed to be "forum-like" with no e-mail interaction?
Regards

> Hi all,
>
> The hub (https://community.ubuntu.com) has seen good uptake in the
> community and I feel that we're attracting more contributors there than we
> do here.  There are other benefits of the hub over a mailing list as well,
> such as easier discovery via search engines, easier searching on the hub
> itself, better topic filtering on categories, easier to unfollow
> discussions you're not interested in.  I also feel it's a bit more user
> friendly than a mailing list, and you can still operate it in the same way
> as a mailing list if you want to.
>
> So, I would like to propose that we move this mailing list to the hub as
> the desktop category and close this list, leaving the archives available.
>
> Folk who want to keep receving desktop related emails would need to sign
> up to the hub using an Ubuntu One account and then subscribe to the Desktop
> category.  You can then choose to receive all posts as an email.  You can
> reply to posts via email too, so daily interaction can be set up to be very
> close to a mailing list, and if you don't want to visit the hub on a
> regular basis, once you set up email alerts you don't need to.
>
> I'd propose to make this switch over at the end of the week if there are
> no show stoppers.  I do not intend to automatically subscribe everyone on
> this mailing list to the Hub as there are a lot of dead accounts (based on
> the number of bounces I have to process and delete), so this would need an
> action on you to sign up to the hub if you're interested.
>
> Cheers, Will

Luís Santos
Contactos alternativos:: lpds25 at hotmail.com / lpds25 at live.com.pt
Correio importante: lpds25 at gmail.com