Experience on switching to GNOME Shell

Marco Trevisan marco.trevisan at canonical.com
Thu May 18 12:47:16 UTC 2017

Il 18/05/2017 14:11, Javier Antonio Nisa Ávila ha scritto:
> The only thing I need to make it a fully usable desktop is the
> global menu, it's totally necessary.
>
> If we evaluate the ergonomic needs of a user of an operating system,
> what he needs most is a spacious visual sensation. The problem with the
> menu that now has gnome is that it loses a lot of space on the screen,
> if we add that the window is not maximized completely but it stays below
> the top bar we lose a large percentage of the screen.

I quite agree with this... Although many apps are moving to hamburger
menus, still the vertical space used for that (especially when
maximized) is really a lot (http://i.imgur.com/P1HB2er.png).

> If we want a true migration without complaints and good acceptance must
> develop the global menu and maximized windows.

However... I'm sad to say, I don't think there's room for this. The
gnome design is moving to something else, and the headerbar presence in
multiple apps makes this quite hard.

A way to merge apps headerbar with gnome panel when an app is maximized
could be an idea, but it's all something we should discuss with Gnome
design, instead of keeping the discussion just at Ubuntu level.