AppIndicator/KStatusNotifierItem support for GNOME Shell

Amr Ibrahim amribrahim1987 at hotmail.com
Wed May 17 16:26:29 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,

One of the achievements of Unity was that it pushed software vendors to
adopt Appindicators for their software, such as Skype and Dropbox.
Appindicators give a more consistent and better looking experience to
the desktop than legacy tray icons.

GNOME Shell, by default, positions tray icons at the bottom-left corner
and hides them. The shell developers may want to push software vendors
to provide native shell extensions of their applications instead of tray
icons or appindicators. GPaste does that (1). It provides a native
gnome-shell extension; in Debian (2).

There is a shell extension (gnome-shell-extension-appindicator), which
integrates Ubuntu AppIndicators and KStatusNotifierItems (KDE's
successor of the systray) into GNOME Shell (3).

There is also another extension (TopIcons-plus), which brings legacy
tray icons to the top panel (4).

I tried both extensions and I found that the appindicator extension
gives a better looking experience.

What will be the situation of Ubuntu desktop regarding that? Would
Ubuntu follow upstream GNOME Shell, or choose an extension by default?

Regards,
Amr

(1) https://github.com/Keruspe/GPaste
(2) https://packages.debian.org/unstable/gnome-shell-extensions-gpaste