Nautilus 3.24 and dropping type-ahead search, adding tracker

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 28 17:37:11 UTC 2017

Hey Jeremy,

Le 22/02/2017 à 14:45, Jeremy Bicha a écrit :
> As discussed at the end of yesterday's Desktop Team meeting, I'd like
> to update Ubuntu's default file manager nautilus from 3.20 to 3.24 for
> Ubuntu 17.10.
That sounds like a good idea, by updating to 3.20 we made the step to go
to the new UI, newer versions are better iterations so we should
probably follow on and get the improvements.

> Nautilus' built-in search has improved since the type-ahead patch was
> first introduced to Ubuntu. One thing that can make it even better is
> to allow tracker to run by default in Unity too.
>
> For more on these changes, see these bugs:
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/1666681
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/1666676
>
> Two other patches need to be updated:
> 12_unity_launcher_support.patch (worked with 3.22.0, needs updating for 3.22.1+)
> 0002-Only-use-a-header-bar-in-GNOME-shell.patch (more header bars have
> been added)
I commented on the typeahead bug, I think we should get 3.24 without the
typeahead patch and without tracker in a ppa (the GNOME team one might
be good enough or we might want to get one with only those) and do a
call for testing/feedback on the desktop list.

Enabling tracker is going to be a bigger discussion (which is started in
bug #1666676 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1666676>), before deciding
we should at least do disk/battery usage testing on a slow config with
rotational disk and see what the user experience is like (pitti has some
good points in his comment on the launchpad bug, indexing is either
going to use battery when not on a/c or be incomplete for example)

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher