Default App: Onboard

Jeremy Bicha jbicha at ubuntu.com
Sun Aug 20 11:27:03 UTC 2017

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 7:16 AM, Francesco Fumanti
<francesco.fumanti at gmx.net> wrote:
> The adaption of Onboard to GNOME Shell has been our focus since the announcement of Ubuntu switching to GNOME for 17.10. For the reasons outlined by marmuta in this thread, a full integration of the python based Onboard into GNOME Shell seems very difficult, if not impossible.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/onboard/+bug/1672465

Thanks for the updates!

> In the meantime, OnboardOSK is quite usable on X, but not yet in Wayland, which brings me to the question, whether Ubuntu 17.10 is also going to use Wayland as default?

Yes.

> We will not be able to offer a proper release before feature freeze on the 24th of august. What does this mean for Ubuntu 18.04? Will it be possible to have OnboardOSK become default again for Ubuntu 18.04, which is a LTS, if it has not already been the default on-screen keyboard in 17.10?

Yes, there is a possibility that OnboardOSK could be used by default
for 18.04 LTS, even if Onboard is dropped from the default install for
17.10.

> Moreover, as OnboardOSK being a fork from Onboard, I wonder whether it has to go through the Universe and Main inclusion process?

It must go through the new queue if it has new binary or source
packages. It will probably need to go through a MIR process if it
needs to be in Main but it should be simpler than a brand new MIR.

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha