Default Apps: gnome-music and gnome-photos

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at canonical.com
Tue Aug 8 04:50:42 UTC 2017

There are two core GNOME apps that we do not currently ship:
- Photos (we have Shotwell instead)
- Music (we have Rhythmbox instead).

Based on in-person discussions it seems likely we will continue to ship our
existing apps for the immediate future because:
- These apps rely on Tracker, which has not been considered to work well in
Ubuntu (at least in the past?).
- The currently shipping apps work well and have more functionality.

Advantages to switching:
- The new apps fit better in with the GNOME style.
- They may have more developer focus in the future (Rhythmbox and Shotwell
may become less maintained).

My reading is most people are of the opinion we won't switch at this time,
but will re-assess at each Ubuntu release if things have changed. What do
others think?

Is there anything we can add to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DefaultApps about
why these are not shipping by default?

--Robert