lightdm or gdm?

Khurshid Alam khurshid.alam at linuxmail.org
Thu Apr 27 16:52:32 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 8:02 PM, Sebastien Bacher <seb128 at ubuntu.com>
wrote:
> * lightdm
>
> + well tested in Ubuntu
> + we have people in the team knowing the codebase
> + shared with other flavors/greeters selection
> + guest session
> - divergence from upstream
> - we are the maintainers so it's more work for us
> - gnome-shell uses gdm for its lockscreen so work is needed to make it
> work with lightdm

I am all for lightdm. Lightdm has a very nice feature like remote login.

I just tried gdm Ubuntu-Gnome 17.04. I couldn't make it work with any
x11 vnc server like x11vnc. So it is safe to assume with gdm+wayland
these vnc servers will become obsolete.

About lock-screen..... Antergos uses lightdm + light-locker with
gnome-shell and it works well.