Look ahead at GNOME 3.26

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 25 11:51:36 UTC 2017

Hello all,

Jeremy Bicha [2017-04-25  7:33 -0400]:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 6:11 AM, Sebastien Bacher <seb128 at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >> I expect several GNOME components to switch from autotools to meson this cycle.
> > I didn't follow that closely, is that a reference documentation to read?
>
> http://mesonbuild.com/documentation.html
>
> > I think Debian tools are ready for it right?
>
> To see which packages are already using meson, run
> reverse-depends -b meson
> reverse-depends -r sid -b meson
>
> graphene [1] is developed by one of the GNOME developers so that might
> be a good place to look for example packaging.
>
> Michael Biebl has added meson support to debhelper master, but a new
> version of debhelper hasn't been released with it yet.

FTR, upstream systemd is currently converting to meson [1], and we successfully
run builds of it both in Debian unstable as well as in Ubuntu 16.04 with
ninja+meson backports [2]. Not having debhelper support is not a big blocker --
either we could just upload and use debhelper git master, or directly call
meson in debian/rules, as we did in the systemd package for now [3].

Martin

[1] https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/5704
[2] https://launchpad.net/~pitti/+archive/ubuntu/systemd-semaphore/+packages
[3] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-systemd/systemd.git/commit/?h=biebl/meson&id=bd3fbb82462ae3