Look ahead at GNOME 3.26

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 25 10:11:26 UTC 2017

Hey Jeremy, thanks for starting that discussion

Le 25/04/2017 à 01:00, Jeremy Bicha a écrit :
> In the last 2 Ubuntu releases, we made this decision between GNOME
> Freeze and Ubuntu's Feature Freeze. This cycle, both the GNOME and
> Ubuntu release schedules were modified slightly to give us about 2
> weeks there. [1] [2]
Good, I think it is wise to stabilize the current version first and wait
before deciding on what to update to avoid surprises (and also to make
sure we can handle the workload of the transition + updates)
> I encourage you to visit [3] to get an idea of the goals some GNOME
> developers would like to achieve this cycle. Not all goals are
> mentioned there and not all goals will necessarily be completed this
> cycle. Here's a few more things that may affect us.
>
> GNOME might support non-integer scaling (for Hi-DPI displays).
>
> gjs will probably be ported from mozjs38 to mozjs52 (the current,
> supported version of Firefox ESR's JavaScript engine).
Those features seems like things we want indeed (at least for the LTS)

> The Nautilus developer suggested that Nautilus 3.26 might use gtk4.
> Nautilus is fairly standalone and doesn't need to be updated at the
> same time as the rest of GNOME. The GTK+ developers were hoping that
> part of GNOME would have been using gtk4 for 3.24 which did not
> happen, so we'll see what happens here. I have uploaded an initial
> gtk4 package to the Artful new queue and the GNOME3 Staging PPA.
GTK4 is a tricky topic, I mentioned it during the IRC discussion but I
think we should keep it out of our default installation for the LTS,
it's too much of a moving target at the moment and is going to be
difficult to maintain over the years without just taking the new
versions which might include incompatible changes.
> I expect several GNOME components to switch from autotools to meson this cycle.
I didn't follow that closely, is that a reference documentation to read?
I think Debian tools are ready for it right?

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher