Copying large files to usb drives can slow down the system

Omer Akram omer.akram at canonical.com
Wed Oct 5 21:04:18 UTC 2016

Hi!

I recently faced an issue that I have constantly saw during the 3-4 years.
Its also something that many friends have reported to me as well(one even
thought ext4 was not good for big files). When large files are copied over
to usb drives, that results in system getting too slow, huge lags in mouse
response and even in many cases hanged windows for a few seconds.

My system have 8G of RAM and while this issue happened only 3.3GB was used
and swap was only used a few MBs.

I found this bug on launchpad[1] and the symptoms mentioned there are what
I see. Is this some kind of configuration issue on Ubuntu's side, something
we can fix ?

There are suggestions and workarounds in the bug report as well, can
someone with knowledge try to understand what the real issue is ?

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/1208993