i386 EOL plans for Ubuntu Desktop?

Marcos Alano marcoshalano at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 19:31:34 UTC 2016

> The general ideas are:
> A. Drop ubuntu-desktop i386 ISO for 16.10 and drop some packages from
> the i386 archive - likely Unity7/8*.
> B.  Just drop ubuntu-desktop i386 ISO for 16.10.
> C.  Keep everything as is for 18.04, and then consider dropping i386
> in 18.10 timeframe.
>
> Thoughts?

I think the option A should be put out of discussion or, at least,
analyzed very carefully. That's because some applications for i386
don't have equivalent for amd64. And other applications depend of some
i386 packages present in the repositories. Big examples are Skype and
Steam. Steam depends of a series of i386 packages for GUI.

--
Marcos Alano