GNOME Software in 16.04 LTS

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 26 10:37:43 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 03:28:02PM +0100, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 08:16:47AM +0000, Robert Ancell wrote:
> >> - The appstream data is being worked on - I'll let Iain Lane update about
> >> that.
> >
> > There's a staging deployment at <http://162.213.34.169/html/>. Work is
> > underway to get it put into a production location and have the Ubuntu
> > mirrors fetch and serve the data so that apt can do the following
> > automatically.
> >
> > In the meantime you can run
> > <http://people.canonical.com/~laney/random-scripts/appstream.sh> (as
> > root, read it first) to manually put it in the right place. After that
> > you'd expect gnome-software to list available applications, but it
> > doesn't for me at least. So there is still some more work to be done
> > here, probably on the PackageKit side.
> […]
> Also, you might consider checking /usr/share/app-info and
> /var/{cache|lib}/app-info for any stale files which might interfere
> (but appstreamcli would tell you about that when run in verbose mode,
> so that issue might not be a problem).
> You can also run gnome-software itself in verbose mode and check if
> the output contains anything suspicious.

Ahhhhhhhhhhha!

I just looked into this (thanks for the pointers) and it was a bug in my
script, unpacking to the wrong directory. I fixed it now, same URL. For
me searching (modulo the completeness of our appstream data, to be
worked on soon: watch this space) and installing works. Removing and
updating (offline only - upstream don't support online updates) doesn't
yet it seems.

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]