Firefox/NPAPI/Flash discussion for UDS

Bryan Quigley gquigs+u at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 17:31:29 UTC 2015

Hi Chris,

The "do nothing" plan in this case would result in features being
taken away during the primetime* life of the 16.04 LTS.  If we
knowingly can't support them for even 2 years (likely more like 1
year), should the LTS include them at all?

1- Minimal option:
Just mention that the support will drop in the release notes, follow
Firefox's lead for alerting users.
Stop installing Flash in the Ubuntu installer

2 - Slightly more aggressive than Mozilla:
Turn on click-to-play ahead of Mozilla

3- Aggressive option:
Disable NPAPI for 16.04.

Obviously, we can separate NPAPI vs Flash-NPAPI if we want in the above.

I would rather users realize they also need Chromium/Chrome in their
environments when they first install 16.04 rather than a random number
of months later.  If we don't at least do 1 we're just asking for
trouble,   I think doing number 3 for general NPAPI isn't that out of
the question.

>most sites that use Flash continue to work fine with the exception of things like Amazon Video
I'm guessing most users have switched to Google Chrome for them.  Many
sites that don't need DRM don't use Flash anymore anyway.

I'll see if I can get a better answer for Adobe. Obviously EOY 2017 is
very different than February 2017.

Kind regards,
Bryan

*First two years, until the next LTS is released.