Proposed changes to default applications in 16.04 LTS

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 16 16:57:03 UTC 2015

Hi friends,

On Mon, Nov 09, 2015 at 03:26:31PM +0000, Will Cooke wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Following the desktop team sprint in October and the UOS session last week
> I wanted to quickly follow up on some proposed changes to the default
> install and gather any feedback.
>
> Brasero -  to be removed from the image and put into Universe.  The
> rationale here is that little development or maintenance is happening
> upstream, there are some bugs/issues which are yet to be fixed upstream and
> its importance is diminished with the adoption of USB thumb drives.  Very
> few people are writing CDs/DVDs these days and those who need it can still
> install Brasero from the archive.
>
> Empathy - to be removed from the image and put into Universe.  The
> rationale here is again it's largely unmaintained now and that fewer chat
> services can used with Empathy, because services such as Facebook are
> moving everything back to their websites and away from XMPP.

I just did this now, as well as some other miscellaneous shuffling. For
example most applications moved to Recommends so you can remove them and
still keep ubuntu-desktop.

> Gnome Calendar - to be added to the image.  This brings a stand-alone
> Calendar application with integration with Unity.

Not yet. The rest of this thread notwithstanding, this package would
need an MIR.

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]