Proposed changes to default applications in 16.04 LTS

Bryan Quigley gquigs+u at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 16:31:20 UTC 2015

Hi,

> Brasero -  to be removed from the image and put into Universe.
+1 (the USC reviews shows it has been going downhill for a while)

> Empathy - to be removed from the image and put into Universe.
+1 (

> Gnome Calendar - to be added to the image.  This brings a stand-alone
> Calendar application with integration with Unity.
I've been reviewing this since the UOS, and I'd prefer to go with
xul-ext-lightning calendar integrated into Thunderbird instead.  It's
definitely more tested and feature complete and Mozilla actually
started including it by default in upstream builds in v38.   It's
already used by enterprises and we can expect it to be around and
supportable in 5 years.

Negatives of xul-ext-thunderbird
It is bigger ~6MB vs 1.5MB.
It's not standalone.
Doesn't integrate with the date applet.  (The last two might be fixable)

Thoughts?

Kind regards,
Bryan

[1] https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/38.0.1/releasenotes/