Coordinating work around newer upstream Nvidia drivers for users

Bryan Quigley gquigs at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 14:16:34 UTC 2015

> Thanks for the email. I read what you wrote but failed to understand the
> details of issue, could you give some details on what sort of issues you
> saw? Did we ship drivers buggy enough that you couldn't play with them?
> Was that fixes with the version you found in ppas?

For my use case, the latest NVidia hardware isn't supported on 14.04
(I'm on 15.04 now, but it definitely wasn't supported previously).  I
believe I need 340.xx or higher for Geforce 750 (Maxwell+) or above.

For gamers especially, it's recommended to always use the latest
stable driver because it will have the latest fixes, performance
improvements, and possibly features that your new game requires.  Some
drivers will also include game specific profiles to optimize the
driver for that specific game.  Steam actually included a Video Driver
Update checker and will warn if you drivers are to out-of-date (this
doesn't work on Linux).

We've had the most games released for Linux in the last year (or so),
then any year (or decade?) previously.  That's why this hasn't really
been an issue before.

Kind regards,
Bryan