Coordinating work around newer upstream Nvidia drivers for users

Rico Tzschichholz ricotz at t-online.de
Tue Aug 11 12:43:00 UTC 2015

Having a disjunct set of packages for every nvidia driver series has
served us well in my opinion. So this should be continued.
A slight change I would prefer is a det of common metapackages. Those
would control which driver gets chosen for install. Basically this could
match the linux-kernel package scheme. So there could be a metapackage
for old-legacy, legacy, longterm, stable and beta. (supporting drivers
which don't work with the system's xorg-server isn't possible)
There should be no need for transitional packages in the driver package
itself. This would preserve all available driver series to roll back to
if needed.

I am in favor of introducing a commonly trusted (non-virtualized) PPA
which is able to build for all architectures like it is done by the
linux-kernel or mozilla-security team.

This PPA could be promoted by some mentioned technical websites to
encourage users to test the provided driver versions.

Regards,
Rico

https://launchpad.net/~ricotz
https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+packages?field.name_filter=nvidia