Firefox Extensions still needed?

Chris Coulson chrisccoulson at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 11 10:02:49 UTC 2015

On 10/08/15 22:21, Xavier Guillot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't answer to this specific question, but as an user with Firefox
> as default browser on Ubuntu 15.04 Desktop, if those addons are kept,
> perhaps they need to be signed.
>
> Today when I updated to the latest FF Nightly 42.0a1 on the daily ppa,
> Mozilla activated the obligation to use only officially signed extensions:
> https://support.mozilla.org/fr/kb/add-on-signing-in-firefox
>
> All 3 Ubuntu addons were automatically desactivated.
>
> On the nightly version, there is an option in About:config to restore
> the old behavior (xpinstall.signatures.required set to false), but on
> future normal and beta versions of Firefox, it will not be possible
> anymore normally.
>
> Even if the addons are provided directly in the packages and not on
> Mozilla site, it is still also possible to validate them.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Xavier

Ubufox was signed a few weeks ago and will be shipped with the Firefox
40 update tomorrow. However, it's only been through preliminary review,
and future Firefox versions disable side-loaded addons that haven't had
a full review.

I'm not sure about the status of the other addons (cc'ing dbarth).

Regards
- Chris