WebKit-based apps are sluggish in latest Utopic

Adam Dingle adam at medovina.org
Mon Sep 15 18:33:57 UTC 2014

Today I made a fresh install of the latest daily build of 14.10 (Utopic).
Unfortunately applications that use WebKit, including Geary and Epiphany,
are now strangely sluggish.  When I type characters (e.g. in a new message
in Geary or in a form field in Epiphany) they don't echo for several
seconds.  (During that time the system is apparently not consuming CPU.)
Scrolling through pages that contain form fields in Epiphany is similarly
painfully sluggish.

I've filed a bug at

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/webkit/+bug/1369693

Still, this is strange enough that I thought I'd ask here: has anyone else
seen this behavior?  This seems difficult to debug, and if I can't find a
solution I'll probably have to drop back to Trusty.  Thanks -

adam