Video editor

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 06:03:40 UTC 2014

> I filed https://launchpad.net/bugs/1377592 where I propose that Pitivi
> is replaced with OpenShot in the Ubuntu slideshow in the 14.10 installer.

I'm not seeing where it's implied upstream would be dropping pitivi or
would not be maintaining it? The last comment on the upstream bug was
"We are now using glimagesink. Closing the bug.", ie they have
switched from using the problematic sink to another one. The upstream
has around 80 commits in the recent weeks, so it does not look
non-maintained: https://github.com/GNOME/pitivi/commits/master

The crash fix for 14.04 would be worth SRU:ing. I remember testing
pitivi during 14.04 cycle, the new version, and it worked and I edited
some videos with it. Maybe something changed in the dependencies
before the final release causing the crash to surface?

I'm not saying Pitivi is in great shape in Ubuntu, it's not, but I
just don't think there's a simple answer to a well maintained, bug
free, new user friendly (not overly complex) free software video
editor. For Openshot, it's two years since the last Openshot release,
and that used to crash for me too. The current Openshot development
version was successfully crowd-funded 1.5 years ago in early 2013, but
so far it has no public source code repository, which is problematic
for a supposedly still free software project, or at least makes it
early to consider recommending Openshot. If the 2.0 gets released as
free software and is easy to use and especially stable, then it's
worth considering.

There's one more potential issue after that - Pitivi uses GStreamer
which is already installed on Ubuntu, while Openshot uses libav/ffmpeg
via MLT. That technology choice might keep Pitivi preferred together
with it being developed in the open, but pitivi would obviously need
packaging/patching maintenance to have a functional version in each
Ubuntu.

-Timo