Usability for touch typers: Keeping fingers on F and J

Thomas Güttler guettliml at thomas-guettler.de
Thu Nov 20 13:34:11 UTC 2014

Am 19.11.2014 um 10:07 schrieb Chow Loong Jin:

> I'm happily touch-typing on a QWERTY keyboard (Thinkpad X230 user here) at
> 120WPM. I don't really have much of a problem hitting backspace or return/enter.
> I'm also an Emacs user, and the only thing that really bothered me was the
> location of the Ctrl key, which my CapsLock key has become. For backspace and
> return, I usually flick my wrist clockwise and back. Pinky goes on the Enter
> key, and fourth finger goes on the Backspace key. It doesn't seem to affect my
> wrist too much when I do that.
>
> I get RSI pains occasionally, but they stopped being much of a problem after I
> found this useful video[1] on stretching your muscles when they ache. I believe
> that in my case at least, the RSI pains are just muscle fatigue in the same way
> your calves burn after a strenuous run.
>
>> What could the current situation be improved?
>
> Nothing that wouldn't break the collective muscle memories of Ubuntu users
> unfortunately. Remapping the backspace and enter keys aren't really an option if
> you want to keep things usable for end-users.

Usability is on my mind. That's why don't want to use alternative keyboard layouts like neo or colemak.

I want an extension, not a replacement.

Creating a new layer with the CapsLock key could be an solution.

I hope I have time to create a table of my requirements before 2015.

I will post a link here.

Emacs was my favorite editor until I switched to pyCharm. Emacs works
good for touch typers. Copy+Paste with ctrl-k ctrl-y feels like flying.
I started to configure pyCharm .... but then I realised: Why modify this single
program for ergonomic touch typing? I want ergonomic touch typing everywhere!

  Thomas

--
http://www.thomas-guettler.de/