A small bug with power management in Ubuntu Desktop

Jo-Erlend Schinstad joerlend.schinstad at ubuntu.com
Sun Jun 1 12:43:54 UTC 2014

A friend of mine recently discovered a small bug on her laptop running
Ubuntu 13.10. I suspect it's still there in 14.04 although I haven't been
able to test it for myself. (My laptop screen is dead – again) Since I
don't know exactly which package to file against, I thought I'd explain it
here.

In System Settings, we're able to configure what happens when you close the
lid on your laptop, based on whether you're connected to a power source or
running on battery. I had configured it so that nothing happens when you
close the lid while connected, but that it should suspend when running on
battery. However, when you're connected, close the lid and then disconnect
the power source, it seems this setting is not checked again. The computer
keeps running, draining the battery – and, can of course, be harmful to the
harddisk.

I would've expected that when you disconnect from the power source while
the laptop is running with the lid closed, the setting would be checked and
if set to suspend, it would – just as if you had opened the lid,
disconnected the power cord and then closed the lid.

Can someone with a working laptop check if this is still the case in newer
versions? And if so, which package does the bug report belong to?

Thanks

Jo-Erlend Schinstad