Computer should NOT shutdown from Guest or Standard user while an Administrator user is still logged in

Ara Pulido ara at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 2 12:44:57 UTC 2014

On 02/04/14 14:37, Marc Deslauriers wrote:
> On 14-04-02 08:29 AM, Amr Ibrahim wrote:
>>> I disagree with your reasoning. It's preventing users who have console access
>>> from shutting down the machine that will result in data loss, as they will
>>> simply fallback to using the power button or the magic sysrq key.
>>>
>>> If the user does not have console access, then it's reasonable that they would
>>> not be allowed to shut down if other users are logged in.
>>>
>>> Marc.
>>>

>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>> OK, I agree with you Marc. If the user has console access, then, at least, s/he
>> should be presented with a warning message of data loss of other users.
>>
>> Or a better solution is to advise the user of the correct action (as described
>> in the bug) and let him/her decide.
>>

> There's some historical discussion, and design for the warning dialogs in this bug:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity-greeter/+bug/861171

This bug is now deprecated in Trusty.

The trusty bug is:

   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/1281058

There is a warning being implemented already. This is now Fix Released
in unity-greeter (you can try it today in trusty), but it needs to be
implemented in the indicator as well.

Thanks,
Ara.