unity-firefox-extension does not comply with upstream add-on policy

Andrew Starr-Bochicchio a.starr.b at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 15:44:54 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 3:00 AM, Benjamin Kerensa <bkerensa at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hello Desktop Team,
>
> unity-firefox-extension does not comply with upstream add-on policy
> (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/Add-on_guidelines)
> which does not permit automatic installation of an add-on into Firefox
> which the aforementioned Ubuntu package does.
>
> I have raised a request upstream to add unity-firefox-extension to
> Blocklisting, and part of that process is to reach out to the vendor
> or developer responsible for the add-on to ask them to fix the add-on
> to bring it into the scope of upstream guidelines.
>

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity-firefox-extension/+bug/1238470

Mozilla's wiki page on blocklisting a plugin [0], states that there
should be a high bar for adding plugins to the blocklist:

> Acceptable reasons for blocking software include:
>
> * Critical security vulnerabilities.
> * A history of security vulnerabilities.
> * High crash volume.
> * Malicious in nature.
> * Severe performance impact (e.g. adds more than 75% to start-up time).
> * Severe bugs that unintentionally affect core Firefox features.

I don't think that unity-firefox-extension meets those criteria, do you?

Is there an upstream bug tracking this issue?

[0] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Blocklisting

Thanks,

-- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio

   Ubuntu Developer <https://launchpad.net/~andrewsomething>