Staying on GTK/GNOME 3.8 next cycle/for the LTS?

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 2 19:22:54 UTC 2013

Le 02/10/2013 11:25, Adam Dingle a écrit :
> Right.  I'm not concerned about specific features from GNOME 3.10 as
> much as staying closer to the upstream codebase so that developers and
> users can work together.

That's an understable position, the reality though is that we are trying
to stay close from the Ubuntu user base and not so much from the GNOME
one (Unity and GNOME are pretty much different experience nowadays).

The fact that Ubuntu/Unity still relies on GNOME components is making
harder to give a GNOME experience "close from upstream" on Ubuntu at the
moment. That's not going to change before the next LTS, but in the
future Ubuntu should be a ble to provide a first class experience both
for Unity users and GNOME users (having less interactions should mean
less frictions between the desktops, and more flexibility for GNOME to
be closer from upstream on Ubuntu)

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher